Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.


As I searched my brain for a title to name my blog I contemplated things such as "the thoughts inside my head" or the standard "my thoughts" along with several other similar ones. Then I started thinking more about the word "thought". Instantly the quote above came to mind. Isn't this so true? So much of what we say, what we do and who we are starts with the thoughts in our head. That being said, I have created this blog to share my thoughts in order to examine them. This blog is a challenge to myself as I share the thoughts of my day. What am I meditating on? The Bible says in Philippians 4:8



"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

That's what I want my focus to be on! Today I read a great post by friend Justin Hackett that talked about the stresses of being a twenty something and wondering "what the heck am I supposed to do with my life?!" I totally agreed with his proposition.


"I think of all of us that are struggling with what's next, I propose we recognize and acknowledge the blessings God has bestowed on us in the present and ask how we can best serve in the here and now. Instead of focusing on ourselves, what if we were to focus on how to be more like Christ? I wonder how many of the things we worry about would no longer be issues if this was our main goal."
(Check out his blog at http://justin-hackett.blogspot.com/ )
A few weeks ago I shared these same thoughts with some friends in my cell group, asking them to keep me accountable for what my focus is on. My fiance, Chris, and I have had many discussions about this as we search for steady jobs while trying to plan a wedding and start our lives together. When we focus on our problem we are putting it as an idol before God and in a sense saying that it is too big for him to handle. I can say that I trust God but when I look at my thoughts (which lead to actions) I can see a clear representation of the extent I really do trust him. When I'm intentional about my thoughts, when I choose to praise him despite frustrations, I begin to see things from His view rather than my own. Overcoming the battle in our thought life isn't an easy thing. It is a daily struggle and I say struggle because I must continually fight. However, fighting in my own strength leads to failure...which could be a whole separate blog.
I'm excited about using this blog site as a way of picking at my own brain to challenge myself (and anyone who reads this)- what thoughts am I sowing?

No comments:

Post a Comment